Planning Permission

Planning permission is required for any proposed extension/development outside of your Permitted Development Rights.
If you are planning to convert your loft, extend your house to the side, rear or front you could require planning permission from the Local Council. Contact us today to see what permission you need for your proposal.

What is Planning Permission?

Planning Permission, in simple terms, is like asking if you can do a certain piece of building work. It will be granted (possibly subject to certain conditions) or refused.Parliament has given the main responsibility for planning to local planning authorities (usually, this is the planning department of your local council). Therefore, if you have any queries about a particular case, the first thing to do is to contact your local planning authority.It is your responsibility for seeking, or not seeking, planning permission. If required, it should be granted before any work begins.

How Long Does planning permission last?

If Planning Permission has been granted, the authority grants/refuses planning permission by sending you a letter notifying you of its decision.
Planning permission runs with the land. This means that land or buildings can usually be sold or let with the benefit of planning permission. Occasionally, however, planning conditions may limit the use or occupation of land or premises to a named person or company.
If you wish to sell or let a building or land which is subject to such a conditional permission you will need to apply to the LPA to remove or vary the condition. The application to vary/remove the condition following the grant of planning permission can be applied for online via the Planning Portal.
By law, any planning permission granted expires after a certain period. Generally, unless your permission says otherwise, you have three years from the date it's granted to begin the development. If you haven't started work by then, you will probably need to reapply.If the permission is subject to conditions, for example, requiring you to submit for approval details of a specified aspect of the development which was not fully described in the application, these must be dealt with before the development can begin.If outline permission has been granted, you will need to submit a further application for approval of anything that was not covered by the outline application (known as "reserved matters") before starting work. This must be done within three years of the grant of outline permission.
You may also need to get other approvals such as listed building or planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area before you can start work. Both of these application types can be applied for via the Planning Portal. Please note multiple consents can also be applied for using the online service, for example, full planning consent and listed building consent or planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area.
It may be possible for you to make minor changes as you proceed but you should check the position with the LPA first. Any significant variation would require a further planning application. If, following a grant of planning permission, you need to make minor amendments to the application; this can be achieved by submitting a non-material amendment application.

What are the fees for a planning application?

When submitting an application, in most cases there will be a planning application fee. However, for some types of consent, e.g. listed buildings and planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area, no application fee is required.
Just for example, a standard Householder Application for a single dwelling house is £206-00. For a Full Application, this can range between £206-00 and £462-00 and will depend on your circumstance and what you are applying for.
Since September 2018, a service charge of £20.83 (+ VAT) will apply to all planning applications submitted through the Planning Portal, excluding applications which do not attract a planning application fee and those with a fee below £60. This is payable at the time of submission.
Where the local planning authority fails to determine your application, or where you submit a valid application and then withdraw it at any time before it has been determined, the application fee will not be refundable. However, if the local authority fails to determine your application, you can appeal.
When a previous application has been granted, refused or withdrawn, one further application by the same applicant for the same type of development on the same site can generally be made free of charge within 12 months. It is for the local authority to decide whether this concession applies.

Contact us

Fill in this section below regarding any possible query you may have and a member of the team will get back in touch with you as soon as possible.
Thank you, your enquiry has been received! A member of the team will be in touch shortly.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Our offices
Suite 1C Warren House, 10-20 Main Road, Hockley, Essex SS5 4QS

Innovation Centre, Boundary Road, Colchester CO4 3ZQ

Suite 1B, The Stables, Cannons Mill Lane, Bishops Stortford CM23 2BN

Vision 25, Electric Avenue, Innova Park, Enfield EN3 7GD
Suite 1C Warren House, 10-20 Main Road, Hockley, Essex SS5 4QS
08:30 - 17:00, Mon to Fri
01702 567955 - Hockley (Head Office)

01206 259310 - Colchester

01279 790123 - Bishops Stortford

02039 705151 - Enfield